Mandela Day: Continually inspired to make a difference
This Friday (July 18) Nelson Mandela Day; South Africans mark the birthday of South Africa’s greatest and recently departed son.
Mandela inspired, and his legacy will continue to move millions of people around the world. It falls upon us; those of us privileged to live in his time, to act as defenders of his legacy. Let us achieve what he aspired for us to be and be inspired by his words, “Sometimes it falls on a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom.”
On Mandela Day, JAM SA will be the centre of efforts designed to help individuals give assistance to those in desperate need. Currently, JAM SA feeds 48,000 children under the age of five in crèches in South Africa’s bleak informal settlements around the country. As such, JAM SA is acutely aware of the need of the less fortunate. Together with our partners, donors and friends, JAM SA has planned a number of special activities to brighten the day of so many in Gauteng, who have so very little.
These projects include:
• Honeydew: JAM SA’s base in Honeydew, Gauteng, will be a hive of activity with staff from JAM, Discovery Invest, Rivers Church and Phoenix design helping sort 1000s of pairs of TOMS shoes for little ones in Gauteng.
• Nooitgedacht: Close to JAM’s base, staff and donors will be distributing food hampers at the informal settlement of Itsoteng.
• Diepsloot: TLC marketing will be throwing a kiddies party at a JAM supported day care centre, Diepsloot Community Loving and Care Centre.
• Diepsloot: Hillkreun School will be providing lunch for the children attending Bambi Day Care and distributing much needed clothing.
• Bryanston: JAM staff will be helping KFC Add Hope pack over 1, 000-food parcels
JAM SA will have a number of activities for volunteers eager to participate at our offices in Honeydew on Friday. Volunteers are welcome to spend their 67 minutes sorting shoes or stitching blankets together.
We invite all to partner with JAM SA this Mandela Day and remember that for just R30 a month you can feed one child, or feed 67 children this Mandela Day for R2010.00.